Light intensity test for visual hood

(Manoj Singh) #1

At which locations we should perform light intensity in visual inspection hood.

(Ranjith maredupaka) #2

12cm height from the wrking station.

(Ranjith maredupaka) #3

Take 5 corners as grid pattern with working height of 12 cm? And calculate the x with correction factor .98

(Manoj Singh) #4

12 cm below working height,? Average of 5 location multiplying by0.98 to find out the fi al result and it should be between 2000-3750 lux. Am I right.

(Ranjith maredupaka) #5

Exactly …visual inspection should be in those limits

(Muhammad jehangir) #6

What is ment by 0.98

(Pharmabuddie) #7

Hi Jehangir,
I too want to know this 0.98 value and request ranjith and manoj to share the reference.
However just to put some valuable information about Lux in pharma I have summarized few quick bites for you all.
Just to understand what is Lux (lx): This is the illuminance produced by a luminous flux of one lumen, uniformly distributed over a surface area of one square metre. One lux is equal to one lumen per square meter.
and,
Luminous Efficacy (lm/W): This is the ratio of luminous flux emitted by a lamp to the power consumed by the lamp. It is a reflection of efficiency of energy conversion from electricity to light form.

So from the above two definitions I presume this 0.98 could be either coeficient of utilization(Cu) (Luminous efficacy) or its a efficiency in Foot Candles.
as from the below Measuring Units of Light Level - Illuminance we come to know that Illuminance is measured in foot candles (ftcd, fc, fcd) or lux (in the metric SI system). A foot candle
is actually one lumen of light density per square foot; one lux is one lumen per square meter.
1 lux = 1 lumen / sq meter = 0.0001 phot = 0.0929 foot candle (ftcd, fcd)
• 1 phot = 1 lumen / sq centimeter = 10000 lumens / sq meter = 10000 lux
1 foot candle (ftcd, fcd) = 1 lumen / sq ft = 10.752 lux

I have given below few reference of Visual inpspection, hope it will help you in understanding the concept of Visual Inspection:

USP 〈790〉 VISIBLE PARTICULATES IN INJECTIONS
EP 2.9.20. PARTICULATE CONTAMINATION: VISIBLE PARTICLES
JP 16: 6.06. Foreign Insoluble Matter Test

http://www.ageta.lt/app/webroot/files/uploads/filemanager/File/info/EN_12464-1.pdf
http://www.em-ea.org/Guide%20Books/book-3/Chapter%203.8%20Lighting%20System.pdf

(Muhammad jehangir) #8

Thanks sir for Kind details

1 Like
(Manoj Singh) #9

According to ranjith we have to check light intensity 12 cm below from light source of visual hood and we have to check intensity at 5 location.pls provide the reference.
I measured intensity at center it was 10000 lux which is out of limit.

(Pharmabuddie) #10

:astonished:
Its very much…don’t your visual inspectors get strain on eyes due to such a bright light.
Please re-verify your requirements w.r.t. tube-light with required lumens and calibration of lumen tester.

Is this visual hood used during online visual inspection activity or offline visual inspection activity?

(Muhammad jehangir) #11

Thanks for your brieifing

(Sabbir Hasan) #12

Can you please explain the calculation elaborately