IPA 70% solution

what the guideline says about the use of IPA 70%. either we have to use this within one day or we can use this for a week. Means if i prepare fresh 70% v/v IPA on 05/dec/2018 then what will be the due date for its using.

In routine practice 70 %IPA is prepared freshly before cleaning.

If this is used for hand disinfection in the premises then what is the criteria ?

better to use single day.
or check activity hold time.

1 Like

Use of simple freshly prepared 70% IPA results in dry skin so beter use some emolient in it .

Which type emolient ? Will it not affect efficacy of IPA

It depends on efficacy of IPA which can be find out by repeatedly checking its efficacy at various intervals, than we can suggest due date(because protocols of preparation and storage conditions matters).It is better to use IPA on surgical gloves with out direct spraying on Skin.Hand disinfection can be done with Liquid soap as well.

1 Like

hand disinfectants provided by vendors contains emients and perfumes etc as well

1 Like

Can i make my 70% Ethyl Alcohol shelf-life 1 week?.. it will be used for sanitation of cleaned equipments

Ethanol is used in medical wipes and most commonly in antibacterial hand sanitizer gels as an antiseptic. Ethanol kills organisms by denaturing their proteins and dissolving their lipids and is effective against most bacteria and fungi, and many viruses. However, ethanol is ineffective against bacterial spores. 70% ethanol is the most effective concentration, particularly because of osmotic pressure. Absolute ethanol may inactivate microbes without destroying them because the alcohol is unable to fully permeate the microbe’s membrane.

Isopropyl alcohol, often called IPA or isopropanol, is similar in function and structure to ethanol. It evaporates at a similar rate and destroys bacterial and viral cells by the same mechanism. However, it is not as effective at dehydrating living tissue and so is a better solution for disinfecting skin than ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol is often used as an antiseptic for this reason.

1 Like

@Sajjad_Ahmad can i still use the prepared 70% ethanol after 1 week??

depends upon activity hold study.

1 Like

2 Likes

first of all you should perform hold time study on 70% IPA, yous will be confirm that how many days it is more effective and can be use.

1 Like

As per disinfectant validation study,
Hold time (in use shelf life) can be refereed and can be implemented.
Thanks

1 Like