How to determine completely unknown compound by using all kinds of spectroscopic and chromatographic technique?

How am I going to determine completely unknown compound by using all kinds of spectroscopic and chromatographic technique?

Determination of molecular weight by Mass spectroscopy is a prime attempt to identity the unknown compound. Based on mol weight, probable structure can be determined. Accordingly the identifed compound standard can be injected in chromatography and confirmed

Mass spectra alone cannot be helpful to identify a structure of an unknown compound.
In this case the help full tools are IR, Mass and NMR to predict the structure. If you are able to prepare a crystal enough in size for Single crystal XRD - then the identification of unknown compound will be very easy.

Can you explain Mr. Chennakesava Rao @kcrao2009 , what’s going to be the role of IR & NMR in structure determination?
Do UV spectroscopy have a role in there?

I feel @kcrao2009 makes sense. Being unknown material, you cannot rely only on mass spectrometry data. As mentioned by @saifulnsu, Mass spectrometry will give only probable structure (not the exact one). IR, NMR and UV will give better conclusion about the molecular structure and functional groups.

@saifulnsu - IR/UV helps us to know the presence of functional groups, mass helps us to know the molecular weight and NMR helps us to know the arrangement of protons and carbons. If your not having organic chemistry background and need any help in identifying the structure, share the IR, UV, MS and NMR data’s.

thank u

I said its a prime attempt only

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.